I bought a cupboard… a work in progress

Before - what a mess!

Before – what a mess!

Check out here for the last revamp I did. I won’t be changing any of this as such, just the table under the window. The table under the window has become a junk pile, the table I leave stuff when I can’t be bothered to put it away. As one of my apparent resolutions, I want to be more organised, and tidier. This is hard for me. Organised I can do, tidy is something else again. I have my moments, but a neat freak I am not. Over the weekend our local Community Centre had a jumble sale and I found a few items that are perfect for new storage but easily accessible, and not adding to the mess.

First up there are a second set of lights on a stand. These will be good for when I’m photographing pieces. At the moment I have the light tent which I place under the main light with one stand next to it, this add light to the other side, hopefully evening out any residual shadows.

The first item I found (on Friday during set up) was this dinky little cupboard, somewhat crooked, but very handy.  It it only an inch higher than the tall boy so it not too out of place. The drawer,I’m not sure of what to put in it, but the shelves were going to be perfect for my electrical and other tools. The heat gun, pasta machine for clay, toaster oven, Dremel (drill) and my light tent and cement sheet (for the kiln) sits on the bottom shelf. Unfortunately the kiln is just a bit too big to fit so is now on the other shelves.

Next (this morning, after some thinking and making a phone call to the centre) I have some baskets on racks which (after measuring) are a perfect fit for under the window and will house my materials. These were in the tall boy, out of sight, not used. Now, they look so much nicer. This has moved not just the material from the tall boy but a whole suitcase of the stuff, so one item that wont be under the work table any more. Into the tall boy will go some of the other craft items that lived (and made a mess under the work table). I’ve only got two drawers done, and to get all my paints in I need some smaller containers. We shall see.

This has taken me 4 days to get here – I do have a life outside of the house, even inside the house – and another week, or two may get it sorted. But that has to include 2 days of work, a day of appointments, delivering & collecting hubby from airport, a wedding & recovery, making bunting for the market, attending said market, visiting a friend getting a major surgery done and general life duties. So the work in progress will be a slow one. But one I am eager to get onto. I am already feeling happy and less inclined to get bored with this makeover as it is putting everything in its place (I like this) and while giving me less actual work space it means I have to be better at putting things away. Working smarter I think it’s called.

Advertisements

Bigger busts and a drill bit.

I went shopping today, what’s in the bag?

20131007-223506.jpg
Ooh, look. More busts, although the height is good, the bust itself is quite small, ah well, you can’t have it all. A tree to make (made) and paint, and some funky cool material. There was so much, I had to be very disciplined with my selection.

20131007-223907.jpg
And the new busts in relation to my existing ones… I’m to going to paint or cover them just yet, I’ll see how the natural look goes first.

20131007-224130.jpg
Oh, and a drill bit for my new toy, a dremel, so I can put holes in my glass and stones. I’m no good t wire wrapping, so holes it will be instead.

20131007-224411.jpg

Fabulous Fabrics

I’m now at part two of testing out the cool book I bought.
Patchwork panache as the book says, or Fabulous Fabrics as I’m saying.
This is such a great way of using up left over fabric scraps, or smaller designs that might not be used elsewhere.
The idea is to use double sided visilene to stiffen the fabrics and then ‘glue’ them together. Felt or other material is used for backing to keep it neat. A eyelet is attached for hanging purposes. I’m also going to try and add brooch backs when they arrive to make some funky brooches – a winter item, and maybe for holding those caddies together or just because.

I’m really pleased at my first attempt.
I cut a large square of red cotton, and a small flower, adding visilene to each. A hint I was given is to iron them between baking paper so the iron is not ruined and the item doesn’t stick to your ironing board. I then cut out the shape, so it was stiffened with no frayed edges, and then ironised them together.

20131002-134001.jpg

20131002-134006.jpg
It’s been a long time since I’ve done anything with eyelets so I had to practice with a couple to get it right. As you can see, they went wonky.

20131002-134111.jpg

20131002-134115.jpg
And the finished product. My first to at this sort of thing, and I found I really enjoyed it from the get go. This is a very light weight one, so I will try with denim and definitely put more of a backing on the others. Thankfully I practised on the eyelets, this one looks pretty good.

20131002-134303.jpg

~ time lapse ~

I’ve just finished these. The mustardy yellow one was a lot bigger than I thought, oops, so I popped on some charms to add a ‘distraction’, and the blue and red denim one is just wrong.
The four on the right side I’m definitely happy with. I just now have to sit down and sort out my fabrics, and when the stamps arrive, there will be another dimension to each piece.
This is something I’d like to keep doing more of. I shall make some specially as brooches before I make the final call.

20131002-154629.jpg

Jen 🙂