A new year brings new possibilities!

It has been way too long since I have been here. Not for lack of being creative, but from lack of time and organising myself to take pictures and post here. My own slackness for sure.
But a new year is upon us. And I am taking up the challenge.
A new year means new possibilities!
My blogging resolutions for this blog are simple. Make it a routine to blog or at least post pictures twice a a week. Not hard. And considering I plan on being quite busy with creating, it should be fun.
One of the first changes I’ve made is to change the theme of the blog. I wasn’t overly happy with the last one, so I have fallen back to one of my favourite themes. Simple, but not too crowded, and showcasing all/most of the pictures on the side.

Another first for the new year will be to get baking onto a bit of sewing. A friend gave me these awesome crocheted flowers/shapes. We thought they were coasters initially, but no, they’re designed to sew onto bags. So the vintage bag book will come out and I shall see what funky things I can make.

20131230-152446.jpg

Have a great new year and I look forward to posting lots of fantastic new makes, and lessons I’ve learned along the way.
Jen 🙂

Advertisements

Bigger busts and a drill bit.

I went shopping today, what’s in the bag?

20131007-223506.jpg
Ooh, look. More busts, although the height is good, the bust itself is quite small, ah well, you can’t have it all. A tree to make (made) and paint, and some funky cool material. There was so much, I had to be very disciplined with my selection.

20131007-223907.jpg
And the new busts in relation to my existing ones… I’m to going to paint or cover them just yet, I’ll see how the natural look goes first.

20131007-224130.jpg
Oh, and a drill bit for my new toy, a dremel, so I can put holes in my glass and stones. I’m no good t wire wrapping, so holes it will be instead.

20131007-224411.jpg

Fabulous Fabrics

I’m now at part two of testing out the cool book I bought.
Patchwork panache as the book says, or Fabulous Fabrics as I’m saying.
This is such a great way of using up left over fabric scraps, or smaller designs that might not be used elsewhere.
The idea is to use double sided visilene to stiffen the fabrics and then ‘glue’ them together. Felt or other material is used for backing to keep it neat. A eyelet is attached for hanging purposes. I’m also going to try and add brooch backs when they arrive to make some funky brooches – a winter item, and maybe for holding those caddies together or just because.

I’m really pleased at my first attempt.
I cut a large square of red cotton, and a small flower, adding visilene to each. A hint I was given is to iron them between baking paper so the iron is not ruined and the item doesn’t stick to your ironing board. I then cut out the shape, so it was stiffened with no frayed edges, and then ironised them together.

20131002-134001.jpg

20131002-134006.jpg
It’s been a long time since I’ve done anything with eyelets so I had to practice with a couple to get it right. As you can see, they went wonky.

20131002-134111.jpg

20131002-134115.jpg
And the finished product. My first to at this sort of thing, and I found I really enjoyed it from the get go. This is a very light weight one, so I will try with denim and definitely put more of a backing on the others. Thankfully I practised on the eyelets, this one looks pretty good.

20131002-134303.jpg

~ time lapse ~

I’ve just finished these. The mustardy yellow one was a lot bigger than I thought, oops, so I popped on some charms to add a ‘distraction’, and the blue and red denim one is just wrong.
The four on the right side I’m definitely happy with. I just now have to sit down and sort out my fabrics, and when the stamps arrive, there will be another dimension to each piece.
This is something I’d like to keep doing more of. I shall make some specially as brooches before I make the final call.

20131002-154629.jpg

Jen 🙂