Craft room revamp, part 1

I posted the other day about a small chest of drawers I bought for my market display. They are lovely, with a pretty vintage looking flower design on them.

20130902-205813.jpg Problem. The front is solid porcelain and the back is only half the height making it front heavy. For dressing table purposes this is not a problem. For display purposes, where I want to have the drawers open a bit and jewellery draped over the edges, it is.

20130902-205857.jpg
After playing around with it, adding weights will make no difference as they just fall to the front and are no help at all.
What I figured out, is adding some height and a weight of some sort to the back so it doesn’t tilt forward and is kept in position with the weights. Easier said than done. Not that hard really, but tricky. When hubby gets home I’ll ask him to help me.

Yesterday at mums I as flicking through a magazine and saw the best storage system. Well, it’s pretty basic, but the idea was what got me. The ladies in question were using hardware shelving in their wedding business to store all their props. And it immediately got me thinking. I keep all mine in the boxes I take to market, and those that get left behind, are left in a mess, and there is always a mess.
The picture that started this whole mess.

20130902-210018.jpg
Now if I had a shelf, I could have everything in position, I could then pick just the things I need. And no mess is left behind.
I thought more about it today, decided I could do it, and as is the way I work I had to do it. Yesterday. Meaning, today, right now.
The next step is making sure I bought just the things I needed, so I searched out the shelving unit I’d like – matching the one I already have – and then putting all the props in the cubby holes – must make sure things fit – all good nice again.
Now the tricky part. I have two filing cabinets, and a heater (I don’t use) that sticks out 10cm (makes a huge difference believe me) and the only power point on that wall. That I do use.
So now I have to wangle shelving around the heater and power point.
Before.

20130902-210124.jpg

20130902-210135.jpg

20130902-210203.jpg
My idea is to have the plastic market boxes underneath ready to fill as required, so a solid table/trestle/plank of wood on bricks is needed.
Before I finish, I’m off to see what mum and dad have that might help.
Bingo!!
After some renovations early in the year there was a door frame left over. That would be perfect, mum said yes, dad said yes, so I went to it with a hammer then wrapped it in a tarp and took it home.
Now for the hard bit. Moving everything to see if I can make it work. On paper – and in my head – it works quite well – will it transfer the way I want it to? I think it does. A few minor alterations, and finding a small table or similar is all I need now.
After. Incorporating the heater and power point easily. And one of two table tops I have covered. The toner is only half this, but still needs a home.

20130902-210344.jpg

20130902-210351.jpg

20130902-210359.jpg

Part 2 soon.

Jennifer 🙂

Advertisements

A penny for your thoughts..

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s